Browsing by Author "Dixon, Duncan"
Now showing 1 - 20 of 31
Results Per Page
- ItemOpen AccessAdvanced Keyword Search ProQuest CBCA Education(2008-04-18T17:04:55Z) Dixon, Duncan. CBCA Education indexes the principal education literature published in Canada. It includes: • journal articles • government and research reports • books • curriculum documents • graduate dissertations in education This tutorial illustrates how to use advanced keywords to search for articles.
- ItemOpen AccessBasic Search Tutorial -- Proquest CBCA Education(2008-04-18T17:02:17Z) Dixon, DuncanCBCA Education indexes the principal education literature published in Canada. It includes: • journal articles • government and research reports • books • curriculum documents • graduate dissertations in education This tutorial illustrates how to do a basic search for articles.
- ItemOpen AccessCINAHL Advanced Search Tutorial(2007-11-08T22:39:09Z) Dixon, DuncanThe CINAHL Advanced Search Tutorial covers the following elements of a CINAHL search: • The advanced keyword search options • Truncation • Wild cards • Refining searches • Saving and exporting searches • Publications • Cited References • Visual Search • Choose Database • Search History / Alerts • Indexes
- ItemOpen AccessCINAHL EBSCO 2.0 Indexes search(2008-12-03) Dixon, DuncanIndexes provide a useful way of searching within a selected journal subset. For example, if you are looking for a complete list of articles published by an author, using the Author subset is an effective way. Another example would be searching for “malaria” within the Africa Journal Subset. However, if you are doing an exhaustive search, it would not be wise to rely completely on an index search, as it’s likely that journals outside the Africa Journal subset will have information on malaria in Africa.
- ItemOpen AccessCINAHL EBSCO 2.0 Alerts(2008-12-03) Dixon, DuncanThe CINAHL Alerts tutorial shows how to set up e-mail and/or RSS feed alerts for searches done in CINAHL. It is also possible to create journal alerts that will send the table of contents when a new issue is published. The advantage of setting up an alert is that if a new article is published that fits the saved search parameters, the researcher will be notified when it is available.
- ItemOpen AccessCINAHL EBSCO 2.0 Basic Search(2008-11-28) Dixon, DuncanThe basic search feature searches CINAHL in a manner similar to a Google search. It’s adequate for quick, simple searches. However, if you are going to use CINAHL for research purposes, you should look at the CINAHL Headings and Advanced Search tutorials. They show you how to use the power of CINAHL to get good results.
- ItemOpen AccessCINAHL EBSCO 2.0 Cited References Search(2008-12-03) Dixon, DuncanThis tutorial demonstrates cited reference searching in CINAHL. A “cited reference” search reveals how often other scholars have referred to the article in question. A “cited reference” search shows the number of times the article has been cited, by whom, and in what journal. It is helpful to know if an article is frequently cited since that usually indicates its value. It is also a good way to find other, more recent articles on the same topic.
- ItemOpen AccessCINAHL EBSCO 2.0 Managing Folders(2008-12-03) Dixon, DuncanThis tutorial demonstrates how to manage folders for CINAHL with the EBSCO 2.0 interface. Folders are very useful for maintaining a collection of shared resources when doing collaborative research. Although the folders are maintained by one person, they can be accessed by other researches who are invited by the primary researcher. Note that researchers from other institutions will be able to access the full text of only those articles through which they have access at their home institutions.
- ItemOpen AccessCINAHL EBSCO 2.0 Print, E-mail, Save(2008-12-03) Dixon, DuncanThis tutorial demonstrates how to use Print, E-mail and Save, which make it easier to manage search results. Users can save searches and search results, share results with others, and export results to bibliographic management software such as RefWorks or Endnote.
- ItemOpen AccessCINAHL EBSCO 2.0 Publications search tutorial(2008-12-03) Dixon, DuncanThe Publications tab allows us to browse or search specific journals indexed by CINAHL. This tutorial covers browsing publications: • Alphabetical • By Subject & Description • Match Any Words It also demonstrates how to set up a publication RSS alert which sends out the table of contents when a new issue of the journal is published.
- ItemOpen AccessCINAHL EBSCO 2.0 Visual Search(2008-12-03) Dixon, DuncanVisual search allows you to narrow your search by adding terms from recognition rather than memory. It is a good way of exploring an unfamiliar subject, but it takes a lot of screen space, so you may find it frustrating to use if you have a small monitor
- ItemOpen AccessCommunication & Mass Media Complete Advanced Tutorial(2009-01-09) Dixon, DuncanThis tutorial demonstrates the use of the Advanced search function in Communication & Mass Media Complete.
- ItemOpen AccessCommunication & Mass Media Complete Basic Search Tutorial(2008-12-17) Dixon, DuncanThis tutorial covers the following:basic keyword searching, limiting results, interpreting results, opening full-text.