● Bedrails are commonly used to prevent falls (Healey, Oliver, Milne, & Connelly, 2008)
● Bed related falls à hospitalization, increase healthcare costs, and death (Bradley, 2011)
● Fall survivors may be left with permanent disabilities (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2015)
● 29-55% residents in long term care have fallen, 25% bed related (Healey, Oliver, Milne, & Connelly, 2008; Currie, 2008)
● Factors = environmental hazards, medications, vision problems, and impairments in strength or balance can increase the risk of falling (Bradley, 2011).